1. Paulís prayer for the Christians as Ephesus is that they increase their understanding concerning the following:
a. The hope of his calling
b. The riches of the Glory of his inheritance
c. The exceeding greatness of his power toward us who believe
2. Each of the three is intriguing, but consider the third
a. What kind of power Paul talking about?
b. How is this power manifested toward believers in Christ?
a. The same power worked in Christ
i. When God raised him from the dead - Ephesians 1:19-20
ii. When God exalted Christ said at his right hand - Ephesians 1:20
iii. When God put all things subjection to Christ - Ephesians 1:21-23
b. Let this truth sink in
i. The same power which gave a life to a crucified man
1. Exalted him to the highest position possible in the universe
2. Subjected everything in heaven and earth to His authority
ii. Has been manifested toward us who believe Christ! How can that be?
1. Have we been raised from the dead?
2. Have we been exalted the right hand of God?
a. We were dead in trespasses and sin - Ephesians 2:1-3
i. And as such, we walked according to:
1. The course of the world
2. The prince of the power of the air
3. The spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience
ii. As such, we conducted in our lives:
1. The lust of the flesh
2. Fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind
3. By nature children of wrath, just as the others
b. We were made alive in Christ - Ephesians 2:4-5
i. Though we were dead in trespasses and sin, God made us alive by his grace in Christ
iii. In baptism we who were dead were made alive together with Christ - Romans 6:1-7
iv. By the grace of God! - Ephesians 2:5
c. We were in exalted to sit with Christ - Ephesians 2:6
i. Raised us up together and made us sit together
ii. In the heavenly places in Christ Jesus
iii. Now we set together with Christ, who is seated at Godís right hand - Ephesians 1:20
d. Let this wonderful truth sink in
i. The power that gave Christ life
1. Seated him at the right hand of God
2. Exalted him above all others
ii. Is the same power that raised us from spiritual from death!
1. Gave us a new life!
2. Exalted us to be with Christ in the spiritual realm
iii. No lesser power could have made us alive, after being dead and sin
1. It took divine power for Christ to be raised and the exalted
2. So it took divine power for us to be given new life
a. Through the spirit of God
i. Given to the Christian has a guarantee - Ephesians 1:13-14
ii. Through whom God strengthens us in the inner man - Ephesians 3:16
iii. With power beyond our comprehension - Ephesians 3:20-21
iv. Enabling us to produce the fruit of the spirit - Galatians 5:22-23
b. Through the armor of God
i. To be strong in the lord and in the power of his might - Ephesians 6:10
ii. To withstand the wiles of the devil, the spiritual forces of evil - Ephesians 6:11-12
iii. To stand a strong, armed with truth, righteousness, the gospel of peace, faith, salvation, the word of God and prayer - Ephesians 6:13-18
1. Do we appreciate the greatness of Gods power toward those who believe?
a. Thanking him for what he did in our conversion?
b. Looking to him for what he can do for us in our Christian living?
2. We will be more appreciative, we always remember:
a. The same power that raised and exalted Jesus
b. Exercise toward those who believe, in their conversion and in their new life in Christ
3. Finally, my brethren, be strong in the lord and in the power of his might - Ephesians 6:10
-- Don Treadway, January 2011 --