- We must learn to watch (Ezekiel 3:17), because one can easily take steps into
unfaithfulness and apostasy –
I Corinthians 9:27. The devil is always lurking
around seeking for a weakness in our Christian armor to tempt and destroy us –
Peter 5:8. This is why it’s imperative that you examine yourself to see if
you’re in the faith –
II Corinthians 13:5.
- You and I must continually work on being faithful and not to waiver. We need
to daily make sure were keeping our relationship right with God –
- Are you focusing on watching, working, and preparing your life to face Jesus
at judgment, or are you foolishly playing around with God and His commandments?
Let us examine the parable of the 10 virgins, to answer this question for
yourself in Matthew 25:1-13.
THE FOOLISH TOOK THEIR LAMPS, AND TOOK NO OIL WITH THEM
- Foolishness is characterized by lack of forethought and caution, lack of
knowledge and understanding to discern, judge, and make decisions to your benefit –
Psalm 14:1. The five unwise virgins did not think to prepare themselves properly
to attend the wedding and when an emergency arose, they were ill prepared and shut
out of the wedding –
- The unwise virgins showed inactivity and slothfulness. They didn’t do the work
to make their journey to the marriage a success; they did not go to the store
and buy enough oil for their lamps to be prepared for the marriage. The Spirit
of truth teaches us slothfulness is characterized by one having lack of
understanding for the necessity of work which will lead to decay and destruction
– Proverbs 18:9;
- A deficiency of judgment to be unprepared for eternity with God is a mark of
having no understanding, and inability to discern correctly the Word of God that
will lead to destruction of the foolish and disobedient –
Matthew 24:37-39 (days
of Noah). Many will be unprepared, when Jesus returns to judge the world, just
like the unwise virgins were unprepared and shut out of the marriage –
THE WISE TOOK OIL IN THEIR VESSELS WITH THEIR LAMPS
- Wisdom is embodied in people who learn to fear the Lord, and those that
receive and obey God’s instructions and commandments –
Proverbs 4:7. The five wise
virgins knew they were going to the marriage, so they prepared themselves that
they might be ready to go to the wedding, and didn’t give their oil to the
unwise – Matthew 25:4, 8-9.
- The unwise virgins needed to be at the marriage at the appointed time in order
to enjoy the blessing of the marriage, but they were not ready –
25:10-14. When the door is shut, you need to be in Christ, watching, working,
and ready to meet Him.
- In conclusion, Christian friend, if you’re not prepared to meet Jesus, it’s
time to learn to number each day as if it were your last –
Psalm 90:12. If
you’re a sinner, separated from God, you need to prepare yourself and obey
gospel of Jesus Christ (death, burial, and resurrection).
-- Harry D. Anderson, Jr., Preached at Gahanna-Jefferson Church of Christ, August 2008 --