a. Fearless Adults
b. Strong Adults
c. Loving Adults
d. Sound Adults
2. We now find Paul giving a charge to Timothy - 2 Timothy 2:2
a. To teach others what Paul had taught him
b. Who in turn would be able to teach others
3. In this charge we learn how the Lord's church was to propagate itself
a. Those who are taught teaching others
b. A continuous cycle of learning and teaching
4. A very effective and quite adequate method, but it works only when the right kind of adults (anthropos) are to be found
A. FAITHFUL TO THE LORD
1. Just as the Lord Himself was faithful, as was Moses - Hebrews 3:2
2. Just as Paul himself was counted faithful - 1 Timothy 1:12
3. Adults whom the Lord can trust, depend
B. FAITHFUL TO THE WORD
1. Holding fast the pattern of sound words, in love and faith - 2 Timothy 1:13
2. Continuing in the things one has learned - 2 Timothy 3:14
3. Adults who teach the truth of God, and practice what they preach
C. FAITHFUL TO THE CHURCH
1. Their own brothers and sisters among whom they will serve the Lord on their behalf
3. Adults whom the local church can trust and depend on
A. WILLING TO BE TAUGHT BY OTHERS.
1. Unless adults are willing to be taught, God's method won't work!
2. Timothy himself provides a good example:
b. Willing to go with Paul and be taught by him - Acts 16:1-3
3. Adults who willing to be students first, then teachers
B. WILLING TO BE TAUGHT BY THEMSELVES
2. As illustrated by Ezra the priest - Ezra 7:10
3. Adults who do not wait for others to teach them, but study on their own!
A. WILLING TO TEACH OTHER ADULTS
1. Unless adults are willing to teach others, God's method won't work!
2. Again, Timothy provides a good example:
a. What he learned from Paul, he was willing to tell others - 1 Corinthians 4:17
b. Paul could depend upon him to teach others - 1 Timothy 1:3
3. Teaching others makes one a faithful servant of Christ - 1 Timothy 4:6
4. Adults who do not keep the truth they love to themselves, but share it with others!
B. WILLING TO TEACH ACCORDING TO THEIR ABILITIES
2. But everyone should be able to teach others something - Hebrews 5:12
b. Even those who serve with their hands can teach others how to do so
3. Adults who teach whatever skills and abilities they may have!
1. For the gospel to spread and the Lord's church to grow, God needs the right kind of adults
a. Adults who are faithful
b. Adults who are teachable
c. Adults who will teach
d. Adults willing to serve the Lord!
2. In whatever way that is keeping with our abilities and God's will, everyone should be both student and teacher
3. Remember the words of the Psalmist
"Now also when I am old and gray headed, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to everyone who is to come." - Psalm 71:18
"One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts." - Psalm 145:4
-- Don Treadway, February 2011 --