2. Paul tells the Galatians that he was crucified with Christ and yet he still lived.
3. What was he talking about?
4. Let us focus on:
a. Paul's "crucifixion."
b. Paul's new life.
A. Context of Galatians 2:20.
1. Paul is using this argument to show the Galatians that he is no longer under the Law of Moses.
2. Christ's death had fulfilled that law and it was taken out of the way (Colossians 2:14).
B. How is one crucified with Christ?
1. Paul tells us that we are baptized into Christ's death (Romans 6:1ff).
2. Do we view ourselves as having been crucified?
3. Paul was willing to say that his life was not his own.
C. When one becomes a Christian, he must die....to sin.
1. We are no longer to serve sin because that old man was crucified (v.6).
2. When we die, we are freed from sin (v.7).
a. Death is a separation (James 2:26).
b. We must be separated from sin (Hebrews 12:1).
c. Freed from the guilt of sin.
3. We are to no longer let sin reign in our bodies (v.12).
4. We no longer have to be servants of sin (v.17-18).
6. We must repent of our sins, however when we falter (2 Corinthians 7:10).
7. This means that if we know we are living in a way that is sinful, we must correct it.
8. Christians will sometimes sin but should not be sinful or full of sin.
A. Born again (John 3:3).
1. Our death to sin must be followed by a new life.
2. As Christ was raised up, we also should walk in newness of life (Romans 6:4).
a. What a blessing!
b. A fresh start.
3. When Christ was raised from the dead, death had no more dominion over him; he would never die again (v.9).
4. Once we die to sin, it can no longer reign in our body; rather, we must live unto God (v.11).
5. To fall away would be like jumping back into the tomb.
6. We are to yield ourselves unto God (v.13).
a. This is what Paul was talking about in Galatians 2:20.
b. "Yet not I but Christ liveth in me..."
B. We must now live our lives for Christ.
1. We must deny ourselves to follow him (Luke 9:23).
2. We must walk in newness of life.
3. Did anything change when you became a Christian?
4. We must live a life of faith, like Paul (Galatians 2:20).
2. That Christ lives in us.
3. Have you died to sin?
4. Are you living a life of faith?
-- Ralph Price, 1999 --